Tuesday 13 October 2015

Three Weeks at Uni

The past three weeks of my life have tested me more than anything ever has before. As a very family orientated person who could not be described as independent, along with being a fussy eater and scared of all most everything, I was packing my stuff up and moving to Birmingham to start University. Okay, it is only just an hour away from home but that is an hour further than I have ever lived from my family, boyfriend and bestfriend.

Armed with my 'how to clean a toilet kit', jars of food I had never cooked before and washing powder tablets to wash my clothes with I said goodbye, clenched my lips together to stop my tears and walked away from a distraught dad as he watched his little girl start the next chapter of her life without him by her side every step of the way. 

Turns out though, thanks to Whatsapp, my parents are with me every step of the way. I call them before I cook to ensure I am not going to poison myself, I send them a picture of the meal I have prepared and then I update them on how it tasted. Along with checking I am using the right cleaning equipment in the bathroom, complaining about the hoover, sending them pictures of my outfits, updating them on nights out, moaning about stress (already), updating them on the weather, the progress of my house plant, my health, my boyfriend, my bestfriend, my lack of sleep, the spider smeared on my wall, the flies in the kitchen, my 7 day long life milk, my odd socks, my comfy bed- you get the gist right?



Turns out when you're left on your own, it is quite easy becoming independent. The strange thing is, I actually enjoy cooking, the thing that is even stranger is I actually enjoy cleaning. I have literally the best rubber gloves on this planet, bright red gloves with a floral trim and an extremely over sized flower on the wrist-you have to be stylish even when you clean. Whilst my meals have been big enough to feed the whole flat and not just me, cooking one portion sized meals is not something I have completely mastered yet. I think one of the hardest things I have faced is living on a budget-with no income now, I really have had to limit myself and with a view of the Bullring from my window, each morning when I open my curtains I am reminded of the clothes I could have but can't. 



I'm not going to lie, almost every situation you are put in for the first week is completely surreal. Meeting my flat mates was one thing I was dreading. After speaking on Facebook for many weeks before, we already knew bits about each other. But what if they didn't like me when they actually met me in person? It is confirmed 5 house mates (plus one we have adopted from the ground floor) all with completely different personalities, hobbies, likes and dislikes can form a functional family. After the first night out together, it felt as though we had known each other for months already. Now sharing a bed, watching Great British Bake Off and crying alongside Ian, is a completely normal situation. 

I feel already in three weeks, as a person I have changed for the better. I mean I went into the kitchen in my Monster's Inc P'js, wearing no makeup, with my hair scraped into a bun, ON MORNING ONE. Now for anyone that knows me, you will know how massive that is! There have been some days that have been tough and all I have wanted is a cuddle from my parents and a good night sleep- the benefit of living only an hour away hey! I just need to realise that having a small wobble isn't me failing, it is me being human. Sometimes you can feel so lonely, even when living with four other people, sometimes everything just all gets on top of you. But a visit home, a Chinese in front of the TV and some good nights sleep and I am all refreshed and ready to tackle the week ahead.



Right that is enough Uni talk, onto the outfit. Yay autumn is here, my favourite fashion season. The return of rich, warm colours and my all time favourite CHUNKY boots. Talking of chunky boots, I own a new pair, these gorgeous burgundy ankle ones! Now on a ten pound budget it was never going to happen but my fairy godmother arrived, in the style of my bestfriend James and paid for half, allowing me to take them home and put them in my wardrobe. Teamed with my new favourite staple, this ever so simple denim pinafore dress. Another gift from James as a going to Uni present. Basically I better give him some credit or this outfit would have never happened, thanks James! Underneath the dress is a lovely long sleeved, buttoned back top with an autumnal fox print all over it. I love autumnal animals, foxes, squirrels, owls, deers-just another reason to love Autumn. Finished with a fringed bag, perfect all year round and some burgundy feather earrings. 


Bag is from Spain and I have had my earrings for so long, I cannot remember where I got them from. Similar ones can be purchased currently at New Look.

Thank-you very much for reading. I am going to do my best to upload onto my blog as much as possible, mixing both fashion and university together! 

Mollie Isabella 

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment